Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sounds Like This

 by Steven B. Orkin
 
 
Just to lighten up a little...

My wife Nancy listens to the radio fairly often as she's driving around town running errands or whatever. I don't have a lot of patience for the radio because of the commercials and the maddening repetition of the top 40 (If anyone knows of a station accessible via a standard radio on Long Island that plays NEW music, I'd be happy to know about it.)

Okay then. Two lines in and I've already parenthesized. I wonder if there are any 12 step programs for overindulging in grammatical characters?

Anyway, Nancy occasionally manages to catch new tunes on the radio, but almost invariably misses the title of the song and either all or part of the name of the artist, and will come home and say things like, "I heard this great song on the radio. It was a guy singing, and I think the song had the words 'rock and roll' in it. Can you find it?"

In that case (which occurred about a year ago), the answer was no, given the rather broad search criteria. I told her so, and we both pretty much forgot about it. Six months later, she heard the song again, and came home with a little more, part of a name: "Eric... something with an H. I think."

That narrowed the field quite nicely, and I soon found the artist: Eric Hutchinson. The song was called 'Rock & Roll' and it's on his CD, 'Sounds Like This'. I had never heard the song, but I knew Nancy loved it, so I ordered it, and I pretty much haven't stopped listening to it since.

I love music, and I consider myself a fairly astute listener, able to separate the wheat from the chaff as they say. In addition, I'm fairly broad-minded with regard to what I'll listen to, and even if something isn't to my taste, I can generally see the artistry in it. So please believe me when I tell you that if you're looking for some slickly produced, no real instruments-allowed techno-grunge, read no further. If, however, you're looking for some unpretentious, head-bopping, coffee house pop with splashes of funk and blues, Eric Hutchinson is definitely your guy. From the honky-tonk opening sounds of 'Alright With Me', to the Billy Joel-meets-Donald Fagen lilt of 'Food Chain' to the infectious road-trip feel of 'Rock & Roll', to the finger-snapping back-beat of 'Oh!', the CD is a breath of fresh air.

So, if you're looking for a something a little different, check out 'Sounds Like This', available at your friendly neighborhood bn.com for under ten bucks.

Happy listening!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy - here's some NPR for ya!

    http://www.npr.org/search/index.php?searchinput=eric+hutchinson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation! Also, I'm a satellite radio snob...you would love it! Although I listen to mostly talk, it's commercial-free heaven :)

    Love your blog, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great link, Tink! Hey, that's a rhyme. I'm a natural poet.

    Lesley, I'm sure I'd love the satellite radio thing. When I'm a world famous blogger, I'll buy a subscription. :)

    I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi (Steve)! Thank you for sending me the link to your blog. I am also a serial parenthesizer (the first set around your name is a joke, but this one is not). :) For what it's worth-- I am always looking for new music and I put on videos from Fuse or MTV Insomnia while I get ready for work to hope to catch a new artist. I don't have the patience for regular radio.
    Jen Wu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jen,
    Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check them out.

    I'm so sorry to hear you share my punctuational disorder. Maybe I'll see you at the meeting. :)

    Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete