Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Orkin's Law of Spiritual Perseverance

 by Steven B. Orkin
 
 
In Autumn 1993, I was walking up Rhoda Avenue toward Weeks Road in North Babylon, heading who knows where. I remember the day as being overcast and cool, but not especially so. I believe it was Autumn. I was contending with a lot of stuff at that time, still trying to burn through a near-crippling bout of depression following the death of my father the year before, reconcile some issues pertaining to the end of one relationship and the moving forward of another (the one that eventually became my marriage, incidentally), and find a decent job after being laid off the best one I'd ever had up to that point the year before. As my thoughts tumbled through my head trying to make sense of themselves, a peculiar phrase blinked in my mind: 'Hope is a raincoat.' It came through with absolute clarity, a steady candle clearing the fog in my beleaguered brain. There was no misinterpreting it: 'Hope is a raincoat'. However, though the words themselves came through clearly, the phrase seemed cryptic. I had a taste of what it might mean, but I couldn't get anything concrete out of it. I continued walking up the block, and a few minutes later, as I neared the end of the street, the rest of it came through: '...in the storm of life.'

Hope is a raincoat in the storm of life.

Though I wouldn't identify it as such until many years later, this was my first Orkin's Law, and it remains my favorite. It typifies the definition at the top of this blog. It's simple, has a playful quality, yet it's got depth to it. It set the standard for the dozens that have followed.

It may sound a little strange, but I assume very little responsibility for these odd little maxims. They just seem to come to me, more delivered that created. I feel like I'm just the recorder.

Anyway, this simple message brightened my day immensely all those years ago. It seemed like a gift, a sign from somewhere that things would get better. It made my load a little lighter, and it continues to bring me comfort even today.

I remain a fervent proponent of Hope. One of my favorite movie titles (and a very fine movie, as well) is 'Hope Floats'(1). One of my favorite CD's is Matt Nathanson's 'Some Mad Hope'(2). Hope matters. Hope gets you through the day. Hope gives you something to hold onto when all else seems lost.

Hope is often misinterpreted by cynics or the literal-minded as an unwillingness to accept reality, but this is not the case. Hope is a desire for a positive outcome in the face of unknown or negative circumstances. If you're sitting at the bedside of a loved one with terminal cancer, you must accept the very real and likely possibility that they're going to die. This does not preclude you from hoping they don't. Hope does not refute reality. It carries on despite it. There is no harm in hope. There is always room for hope.

I think Hope is closely tied to Faith, though the latter is a more complex concept that I hope to address at some point in the future. For the most part, I think Hope is somewhat more realistic. In the context of this Orkin's Law (or OL, to save me some keystrokes), Hope has no grandiose arrogance. It does not prevent or solve anything; it protects, it shields. It enables one to cope with things as they are more effectively. Given the sometimes profoundly, even mercilessly unjust world we live in, I don't think we can ask for much more.

Orkin's Law of Spiritual Perseverance: Hope is a raincoat in the storm of Life.

Try that one on the next time you're feeling low and your plate is full. Is it going to change your life? Nope. Could it give you a step up to cope with everything just a little bit easier? You know, it just might...








1: 'Hope Floats' is a 1998 film starring Sandra Bullock and Harry Connick, Jr., both of whom are excellent. It's a simple film that's part romance, and part journey of self-discovery.

2: 'Some Mad Hope' is a 2007 release by Matt Nathanson, a soulful and skilled songwriter and guitarist. It's not flashy, but it is authentic. If you like artists like John Mayer, James Taylor, Shawn Colvin, Colbie Caillat, or Sara Bareilles, this will probably work for you.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you. Today I really need hope as my son gets a new back brace to wear for 16-23 hours a day. I hope that 3rd graders can be kind. Hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful. It made me rethink today and put it in another perspective. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for reading, ladies. I'm glad this entry proved inspirational. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your writing is very beautiful & inspirational.Hope is what my faith has given me . I have always depended on the ' raincoats' of Faith, Hope and Love, all working together in my life to look beyond the world I see to what I hope ( and believe) it can be.
    I have had the experience ( many times ! ) of being at the bedsides of loved ones at those moments you will never forget, those that have that strength within from Hope, Love and Faith can withstand the storms of life while others the hopeless ,like leaves in the wind and are just blown away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope is overrated ;-)

    BTW, some of us like the rain, and enjoy wallowing in the sh*tstorm of life (even when we protest vehemently that we don't).

    Your writing is beautiful and eloquent, and I like the optimistic approach. It's a great thing to have the Internet, where your abilities can be enjoyed by the masses (and where, HOPEFULLY, a publisher will take notice and finally give you your due).

    You didn't mention the one movie that I think exemplifies the theme of hope better than any other -- The Shawshank Redemption (I HOPE that was an oversight on your part, and that you didn't do it just to tick me off).

    "Orkin's Law" is a great idea (coupled with a great title), and I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say in the future.

    Keep up the good work, old son.

    'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope is over-rated, huh? Well, I'm glad you got something out of the essay, Drew. :)

    Seriously, thanks for your comments. Agreed, Shawshank is a remarkable film. I just chose Hope Floats specifically because it has the word in it. Very sophisticated criteria, I know...

    I'll do my best not to disappoint with future posts...

    ReplyDelete